Saturday, January 25, 2014

Holidays and coming out

This year I put on my wish list a cute lesbian romance movie. It had been on my list before and I didn't get it. I wondered if it was because of the subject matter or because no one had heard of it before so they just didn't want to get it for me. I got the movie from my aunt who I've never come out to because of the possible repercussions my mom might face at my expense. I consider the fact that she got it for me a positive thing. Yay! Holidays and coming out in small ways by not censoring your wish list... that's something crazy to do - censor the things you want because of their content. I haven't actually done it completely - but I did really think about adding that movie to my list the first time I did it. Then I said, "Fuck it" and put it on the list.

However, after the holidays and spending time with family and having lots of fun with my parents, my parent's friends came over to visit. I've known them my whole life. Of course the male friend asked me "when you going to get a ring on that finger?" -- There were so many answers - I just kept my head down looking at my hot cocoa. I couldn't say anything. I didn't know what to say.  It was obvious my parent's had not mentioned the the tiny fact I'm gay. (Maybe hoping that might change if they don't mention it).  I was wondering in those moments how my parents would feel about me saying as a response "Well I can't legally get married in this state." I also thought of the smart ass comment "I wear rings on lots of fingers - just not right now."  Or the more appropriate "You could have talked all night and not said that." -- I was "rescued" by the guy's wife.  And then my mom. All comments were heterosexual in nature. The women came to my rescue at the question of me needing(?) to be married (by a certain age?). It was then I thought of saying "Well I don't date men .. so...it really doesn't matter" -- But instead I was frozen as all the thoughts swirled around and I couldn't say anything because I didn't know how my parent's wanted me to react to their friends. I'm sure I looked visibly upset at this question and just didn't know how to respond. I had said before I wasn't going to lie about who I am. But sometimes it's easier to play along and sometimes it's really painful to have to think so much about what to say in order to "avoid" some awkwardness.  

Am I supposed to come out in these moments? Should I just play along? Should I have a feminist smack down and deconstruct why he is even asking such a ridiculous statement just because I'm female?

It would seem my parents aren't comfortable with my sexual orientation.  

No comments: